Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I have had chronic daily tension headache/migraine like

Customer Question

I have had chronic daily tension headache/migraine like symptoms going on 4 months now and am scheduled to have Botox to try and treat this next Tuesday by my neurologist. Is this typically effective for these type of headaches and does it hurt really
badly? Any bad side effects?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,Thanks for your question.The below linked article nicely explains the various aspects of this procedure. Please read it. If after reading if you have any additional questions I will be happy to answer them. http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/botox/basics/definition/prc-20009036 Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They think I have NDPH could the Botox help with this?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
It may help. However I cannot say this with certainty since more studies need to be done to know the effects of botox on NDPH. Basically the NDPH needs to be classified into the dominant headache phenotype, whether it is migraine or tension-type, and treated accordingly. If it is chronic migraine type phenotype it is more likely to be beneficial and will reduce the headache frequency.
Take care.