Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I have metal plates and screws in my forearm where I broke

Customer Question

I have metal plates and screws in my forearm where I broke my bone snowboarding last night it accidentally got hit hard and Its still in some pain the next morning ? Should I be concerned or let it rest ?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.
I have few questions first;
1) Is the pain severe now?
2) Is the pain worsening?
3) Have you noticed any new symptoms like muscle weakness, numbness, or tingling (pins & needle feeling) etc in the hand or fingers or in the forearm since this injury?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's the same pain as last night it hasn't gotten worse the pain is in one area though no numbness just a sharp pain Specifically on my right side of the forearm
Thanks for all these additional information. I am typing the answer now and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.
Okay I am ready and I am posting my answer here. I will discuss the possibilities & the management plan point by point below here;
First of all I reassure you this does not look like any serious injury.
It does not look like there is any nerve or muscle or new bone injury or any displacement of the plates or screws after this incident
You can certainly wait & watch.
This should get better soon.
You may give adequate rest to the injured limb, and for the pain anti-inflammatory pain killers like Motrin or Aleve can be used. Tylenol too can be tried.
Cold compressor too can be used.
Once again I reassure this does not sound like any major or severe injury and this is expected to resolve soon. If the pain does not resolve in the next 24 hours or so or worsens or any other new symptoms like numbness etc develop then you may try to see your doctors and also try to get an X ray of the injured forearm, however based on the details received from you I strongly feel this should resolve soon with rest.
Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me to compensate me for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.
Best regards,
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have it resting from pain 1 to 10 it's like a 7 but like I said it hasnt worsen from last night just a sharp pain on the side of my arm I just took Tylenol and will put the cold as well for inflamation it doesn't look swollen and there no numbness in my hand just the pain in my arm
Thanks for all these additional information. The localized sharp pain appears to be from soft tissue injury rather than any bone injuries or any nerve or muscle injuries or from any displacement of the plates/screws. The pain hasn't worsened and also there is no swelling or numbness etc are good signs and implies any serious or major injuries unlikely. You can continue with tylenol & cold compressors and give adequate rest and this should resolve soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The arm is a little hard to move as well from the pain it just hurts but I can move and feel my fingers just fine
You can continue with resting the limb, and wait & watch. This should get better soon. This does not sound like any serious injury.