Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Dr Love Please: I have a pain in upper right thig

Customer Question

.Dr Love Please: I have a pain in upper right thigh , I also have 3,4 psa level
Up. From 2.8 from a year ago , Iam 59 years old does the
Psa level and thigh pain have anything or related to each other ?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
I am sorry for the delay, but the question was initially placed in a different category.
This thigh pain and slight increase in PSA would not be related.
It is possible to get thigh pain from prostate cancer, but it would require either a large primary tumor that is pressing on nerves that serve the thigh or metastasis of the prostate to the thigh, such as the bone of the thigh.
If there is prostate cancer of this size or spread, then the PSA would typically be much higher than this. Your doctor is correct that a level of 3.4 is not a concern, and that means that it is not a concern for prostate cancer that is still limited to the prostate. It would be even far less likely that a PSA of this level could indicate a more advanced cancer.
The thigh pain is most likely due to musculoskeletal degenerative changes or inflammation. It would be reasonable to to take an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.