Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

Are low dose ssri good of dysautonomia with mitral

Customer Question

are low dose ssri good for treatment of dysautonomia with mitral valve prolapse and ms like symptoms. i am 64 and want to know if the ssri will induce irreversible parkinson's. i thought that maybe low dose zoloft would be best since i have a history of ptsd and am in a extreme fear state. it's documented that prozac is most effective with the course of certain neurological symptoms but is noted to cause the most possible irreversible parkinson effect. I need something to regulate my system and am asking my doctor for low dose ssri. Since it's not a energizing ssri, could it stabilize my blood pressure and overall nervous system so i can function and take care of all other issues. Linda
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Hi Linda,
If the question is whether SSRI will cause parkinsonism including irreversible parkinsonism etc, the answer is yes, all SSRI can cause this side effect.
If the question is whether Zoloft is safer compared to Prozac the answer is no, because all SSRI agents including Zoloft or Prozac can cause similar side effects at almost similar frequency, so there is nothing much to choose between Prozac or Zoloft.
But the good news is the overall possibility of acquiring parkinsonism that too the irreversible type with SSRI agents including Zoloft is very low. Zoloft is one of the most common SSRI agent prescribed in the clinic and considered as one of the safest meds. If you do not want to take any chance then you may avoid Zoloft, on the otherhand if you are willing to take a very small risk then you can try small doses of Zoloft which is considered as overall very safe SSRI and it can immensely help with your various neurological symptoms and improve your quality of life considerably.
Best regards,
Customer