Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

A few times per week I experience sudden sharp pain, cramp

Customer Question

A few times per week I experience sudden sharp pain, cramp element but head hurts, from the top back or my head slightly right , down the back side of my right ear and the right side of my neck down to the collar bone..lasts about a minute..am 70, had strokes, active now..pain brings me to a chair head in hands until it passes..any ideas..
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.
This type of sudden sharp pain could be due to one of the following nerve injury possibilities;
1) Occipital neuralgia
2) Auriculotemporal neuralgia
3) Pinched spinal nerve etc.
You may try to see a neurologist so that you can receive a thorough neurological examination in the clinic followed by certain relevant investigations that will include an MRI of the brain & Cervical spine etc and then depending upon the test results will be treated appropriately. In the meantime for obtaining relief from this very severe sharp pain you may try one of the nerve-pain pills like Gabapentin or Pregabalin or Amitriptyline etc.
Best regards,
Customer