Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

My father's doctor suggested we try Sinemet agonizing

Customer Question

My father's doctor suggested we try Sinemet for his agonizing nighttime leg spasms since he did not do well with Valium or Neurontin (confusion, weird dreams, and inability to walk). He has been taking it for about 6 weeks, gradually increasing the dose from one 100 mg pill a day to five. This at first seemed to reduce the cramping (rhythmic and dramatic contractions of leg muscles and right arm, leg kicks, knots in legs and right bicep, "ropey" tendons) but has not solved the problem. He has periods of extreme distress and confusion, which may or may not be attributable to the medicine--we don't know. We are in any case abandoning the Sinemet, and I am concerned about that process. In the last five days, I have reduced the dose from five pills to four. My question is, how dangerous is the weaning-off process, and how long should it take?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
do you have any other medical issues?
I would wean off by 1 pill every 3 days
it is not dangerous at all