Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My grandson has an abusive mother, Screaming at him since he

Customer Question

My grandson has an abusive mother, Screaming at him since he was 6 months, at 3 he started to blink his eyes ever of half a second. I told my son that is from her screaming in his face. Well that did stop after a year or two. Now he is eight and I go away for 6 months for winter, came back and noticed that he is flipping his eyes and his bottom jaw goes sideways high up to his check. while he does that his eyes roll up too. I asked them( her and my son) What's going on with Owen? she smiled and said the doctor told her it's a tick,
never heard that before, I told her that is nerves. Can someone educate me, I do have 5 grandsons 3 from my daughter and two from my son. I love them dearly all, now with the younger one so far she is good, we(family) noticed that, but the first one since he was born she take her frustration on him, I need to help this boy please some one help me
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Actually, the proper spelling for these movements is tic, not tick. Tics can vary from a minor issue that is frequently a manifestation of stress to a more severe condition with more severe tics that interfere with daily activities. Minor tics are very common and will usually resolve spontaneously. Similarly, if the tics are a manifestation of stress, then they will typically resolve as the stressful situation improves. More severe tics can be associated with Tourette syndrome and other primary tic disorders. Occasionally, tics may also be a manifestation of other conditions, such as encephalitis or thyroid disease.
The initial evaluation would be a detailed developmental and neurologic examination. If it is thought to be a minor tic that is a manifestation of stress, then it would be appropriate that no specific treatment be done for the tic, but only address the source of the stress, to the extent possible. If it is a more significant tic disorder, then there are some medicines that can be used for relief of the tics.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.