Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

I underwent a sub occipital craniotomy neuralgia

Customer Question

I underwent a sub occipital craniotomy for geniculate neuralgia in 2009. Micro decompression of cranial nerve 7. I have had no pain relief from the geniculate neuralgia, my auditory nerve was severed so I am deaf in right ear and suffer severe tinnitus. I also now have severe occipital neuralgia, as according to another surgeon, the occipital nerve was sewn into the incision. Is there any help for me to relieve this pain? I survive on 4000 mg of gabapentin a day, a 50mcg fentanyl patch every 48 hours, 15 mg oxycodone 3 times a day, and Subsys, sublingual fentanyl for breakthrough pain.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
have you tried botox or a steroid injection into the nerve?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Reply to Dr. PHIL on answer to my question on geniculate and occipital neuralgia status post MVD. Of course I've tried numerous nerve blocks for the occipital nerve with no relief, according to my pain management specialist botox is not an option, and
no type injection can reach inside the skull as you should know. Can I get a better answer than that? Only treatment for geniculate nerve is another surgey, I was hoping there may be a new procedure out there!