dr prabir kumar das
dr prabir kumar das, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MD
15221770

I have late stage Lyme and bartonella dx and am now experiencing

Customer Question

I have late stage Lyme and bartonella dx and am now experiencing signs of cerebral vasculitis. I am very concerned. It started with vertigo for a month, then very bad headaches and visual changes where my vision would go in and out of focus and spells of altered consciousness and clonus at night and now I am having pain IN THE BRAIN. This is worst thing I ever felt and is different from a headache. When it happens, I have trouble understanding a paragraph or speech and am confused about basic things. I feels like I am not getting enough air and start breathing very hard. I am on 1500 mg of amoxicillin and 200 mg of doxy for the Lyme. My doctor says the only thing in the brain with pain receptors is blood vessels. I understand these are also controlled by nerves. Could the pain be coming from infection attacking the nerves on the blood vessels in the brain, or from inflammation in them themselves? Could it be either? Can you get neuropathy of blood vessel nerves in the brain, or will it clear with treatment of the infection? And, also, can blood vessels in the brain become clogged with dead bacteria and toxins from die offs, as well as from atheromas and can that cause pain as well? I need to understand what is causing this because it's very important how to treat it. Steroids can devastate people with a long term infection. On the other hand, they are the treatment for cerebral vasculitis. What do you think about what the options for the source of pain inside the head would be and what do you think I should do to form a solid treatment plan. This can kill you, so it's very important for me to figure it out. Thank you.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
lyme disease would not cause pain in the brain
you could be having migraine headaches which can be treated with migraine headache medications
you could be having stress headaches
you could be grinding your teeth and causing TMJ jaw inflammation which can cause headaches
you could be having caffeine withdraw headaches.
you could be having excessive anxiety symptoms which can cause headaches and brain fog and dizzienss and nausea symptoms
do you have a history of excessive anxiety symptoms or panic attacks?
Expert:  dr prabir kumar das replied 1 year ago.
HelloIn the brain, B. burgdorferi may induce astrocytes to undergo astrogliosis (proliferation followed by apoptosis), which may contribute to neurodysfunction.The spirochetes may also induce host cells to secrete quinolinic acid, which stimulates the NMDA receptor on nerve cells, which may account for the fatigue and malaise observed with Lyme encephalopathy. In addition, diffuse white matter pathology during Lyme encephalopathy may disrupt grey matter connections, and could account for deficits in attention, memory, visuospatial ability, complex cognition, and emotional status. White matter disease may have a greater potential for recovery than gray matter disease, perhaps because neuronal loss is less common. Resolution of MRI white matter hyperintensities after antibiotic treatment has been observed.Tryptophan, a precursor to serotonin, appears to be reduced within the central nervous system in a number of infectious diseases that affect the brain, including Lyme.Researchers are investigating if this neurohormone secretion is the cause of neuropsychiatric disorders developing in some patients with borreliosis.Thank you