Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I have a droop and slurred speech that my doctors say

Customer Question

I have a facial droop and slurred speech that my doctors say is not related to a stroke, they don't know what causes it. They are treating it with Topamax right now. What else could cause facial droop and slurred speech and not be a stroke?
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really wanted to find out how to get a second opinion on my situation at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester. I really don't want to pay money for a monthly service. Please guide me.
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am Neuro Doctor, an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast clinical experience and I am very glad to help you with your health question.
I see that stroke has been ruled out as a cause for your recurrent facial droop & slurring of speech as per your doctors. I assume they did an MRI scan of the brain to rule out the stroke possibility. And if they did the brain MRI then I also assume they have ruled out other conditions like MS (Multiple Sclerosis) etc which also can cause these type of symptoms.
Another possibility I wanted to mentions is “Hemi facial spasm” and this condition too can cause intermittent pulling of facial muscles down on one side as you are having and you may discuss this possibility with your doctors. If you are confirmed to have this condition then it can be treated with botox injections. I am not telling you definitely have this condition, I am only telling that this is a possibility that needs to be ruled out.
Now regarding obtaining a second opinion from mayo clinic at Rochester what I will do is provide you here a web link of mayo clinic through which you can easily set up an appointment with a neurologist at their Rochester division.
This is the direct web link to mayo clinic;
http://www.mayoclinic.org/appointments
When you click on the above link you will get 2 options to set up an appointment there, either through their phone number or through their online system, you can choose which one suits you. And this is the most direct & the easiest way of getting a second opinion by a neurologist at Mayo clinic of Rochester division.
Please go through the above information and let me know if you have any further questions. And if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me to compensate me for the time and effort put by me in answering your question. And if you do not want to have monthly service then you can contact “Just Answer” company directly and let them know that it would be just one time using of this service & ask them to stop any further charges to your card and they will help you in this regard.
Best regards,
Neuro Doctor