DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years
24257177

Doctor. I am 62 years old and have stenosis, sciatica

Customer Question

Hello Doctor. I am 62 years old and have stenosis, sciatica and a herniated disc. The pain from the sciatica and herniated disc is so severe I can walk one block and then I must stop for a minute or two. I have tried PT but it did not help that much. I know I am overweight and I am trying to lose weight but not succeeding since I can't exercise or lift more than 3 lbs. I take Motrin and Alleve and wear Lidocaine 5 pct patches. They are no longer as effective as before. I am afraid of epidurals and surgery. Is there any safe treatment for me these days? Should I go back to a neurologist or an orthopedist?
Thank You. Helen
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
Hello
You should go to an MD of physical medicine and rehabilitation. PM&R.
They have injections, electronic therapies, traction, meds, therapies, etc.
You need a comprehensive program or this will only get worse.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.