Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I get these numbness feelings in middle of the night alternating

Customer Question

Hi, I get these numbness feelings in middle of the night alternating left and right hands. I was recently diagnosed with a c7 c8 disc herniation. I did not have these symptoms prior to the herniation diagnosis. There are no symptoms during the day. When i get the numness i wake up and sit up as im fearful im having a stroke. Thankyou for your help. jerry
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this isCustomer an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast clinical experience. The Expert to whom this question was originally addressed is not available now so the company has made this question available to other experts too and I am very glad to help you with your health question.
Coming to the discussion;
This numbness is unlikely related to stroke. Stroke should not present like this. For example stroke does not present only in the night, it can randomly happen in day time and night both but not only during night. And with a stroke symptoms are expected to be on the same side (recurrent mini strokes ) instead of alternating symptoms in either of the hands like this.
This numbness may be coming from the neck from the disc herniation. Or this may be early stages of Carpal tunnel syndrome which is due to nerve injury in the hands at the wrist region, and you may try to see a neurologist to get this investigated, or follow up with your neurologist if you are already seeing one. Or this may also be related to some underlying anxiety related to the recent diagnosis of discs in the neck.
One or otherway I once again I reassure you this is unlikely related to any stroke because stroke does not present like this; and this is neither stroke nor pre stroke.
Please go through the above information and let me know if you have any further questions. And if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me to compensate me for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.
Best regards,
Customer
Hi, I see that you have not rated my answer; please let me know whether it is because you are facing some technical glitches preventing you from rating or it is because you are not satisfied with my answer. If you are facing any technical glitches then I can contact the company and let them know about it, on the otherhand if you are not satisfied with my answer & if you are having additional questions or seeking additional clarifications from me then we can discuss this further until you are satisfied with all your health concerns.
Best regards,
Customer