Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I have peripheral neuropathy from a high dose cisplatin

Customer Question

I have peripheral neuropathy from a high dose cisplatin treatment. Glove and stocking distribution. I have paresthesia but no weakness. Symptoms have been stable for a couple of months but not improving. I have notices stiffness in my legs, especially back of ankles if I'm not walking for a while. Is that due to the neuropathy?
Thank you
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
do you take any meds of any type?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was taking lots of meds while on chemo (ended feb 6 2015) but I am taking only effexor XR 150 mg hs now. And the. Occasionnal advil, tylenol and zantac
That could be from chemo but it could also be coming from your low back
maybe degenerative discs
I would see your doctor and get some xrays of the low back
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did see a doctor who has confirmed that the peripheral neuropathy is due to the cisplatin. I had a spine MRI which was normal.
My question specifically relates to the stiffness in my ankles and lower calfs which is relatively new (noticed in the past few weeks), and whether the neuropathy is responsible for that or not.
Thank you
yes, I believe it is.The nerves and muscles degenerate as a response to the neuropathy. This can cause pain.I suggest you get physical therapy ASAP to prevent further damage