Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.
20638885

I have a c2-c4 fusion resulting from a fall in 2011. I have

Customer Question

I have a c2-c4 fusion resulting from a fall in 2011. I have cervical stenosis. And according to a very recent myleo CT scan, I now have a herniated disc at c4-c5. My Surgeon wants to do another fusion. I have all the classic symptoms,intense shoulder and
bicep pain, hand and finger numbness and tingling. However, I have a new symptom and was hoping someone could help explain...I have an intense sensation of heat in my upper back that sometimes radiates to the front upper abdomen. I'm concerned as I dont go
back to my Neurosurgeon until next Thursday. Any info will much appreciated!
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 years ago.
Hello I amCustomerand I would be helping you today.I understand that you have had to wait for so long to get assisted but unfortunately this is not under an experts control.The new symptom is not likely to be related to the cervical stenosis and the disc herniation at C 4 C 5.The nerves coming out from the cervical spine do not supply the area in the upper back or abdominal area and hence compression on these nerves cannot be held responsible for these new symptoms.More likely this is related to a nerve problem in upper thoracic spine.Possibly compression on nerve in thoracic spine.Another possible cause can be early stage of shingles which can present with burning sensation or heat sensation in the distribution of upper back radiating into upper abdomen.