Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

Today I fell down about 5 stairs that had carpeting and

Customer Question

Hi today I fell down about 5 stairs that had carpeting and my foot isn't swollen or bruised but I cannot put pressure by my big toe and it doesn't hurt unless I touch under the big toe or try to put pressure on the big toe. The rest of the toes and bones are fine I have pressed on all of them. I cannot get to the doctor because of work. Please advise
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I amCustomer an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast clinical experience and I am very glad to help you with your health question.
Based on the details provided by you it sounds like there is no major injury like a fracture (broken toe) to the big toe. This could be some internal soft tissue injury which can explain why there is pain on touching the big toe or when you put pressure on it but why external signs like swelling or bruising etc are absent. At the maximum this could be a minor fracture which also heals fast on its own with immobilization of the toe (discussed below later). When you get free time you may try to show this to your clinic doctors or doctors in the ER and also try to get an x ray of the big toe so that we can easily identify the extent of this injury but this looks like some minor internal injury rather than anything serious or major.
These types of injuries are treated conservatively and no surgery is needed, and the conservative treatments include the following;
1) Reducing weight bearing on the big toe as much as possible
2) Taping the big toe to the next toe so that it is immobilized (giving rest to the injured toe)
3) Using ice compressor frequently
4) Keeping the leg in an elevated position whenever possible
5) Using anti-inflammatory pain killers like Motrin or Aleve etc as necessary
When you get some free time please try to show this to a doctor (either in the clinic or ER) & also try to get an x ray too but I once again reassure you this type of injury should heal soon with the above mentioned conservative treatments.
Please go through the above information and let me know if you have any further questions. And if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me to compensate me for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.
Best regards,
Customer