Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

I have been diagnosed with Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus. I

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus. I am very concerned. I'm told the solution is to insert a shunt in my head that will drain off the water to the stomach. My symtoms are some balance problems while walking, headaches. I'm close to 70 and there are some memory issues which many friends seem to be experiencing without being diagnosed with NPH. What is the success level of shunt procedure? What are possible complications? What is future health risk is If I do not use shunt approach
Thank-you--my email # ***** **********
Thank-you,
Tony ***
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tony. Having a shunt placed has some risks associated with it, but the procedure is generally a well tolerated procedure and successful in experienced hands. The main risks include shunt failure, with build up of pressure in the ventricles and worsening of your symptoms, or infection, with new symptoms and a risk of meningitis or encephalitis. If you have NPH, the prognosis with or without the shunt depends on the cause of the NPH and how fast the process it is progressing. Most individuals without a shunt do tend to experience symptom progression slowly.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any follow up questions about this?