Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I am a very healthy 77 year old male. (Been going to the gym

Customer Question

I am a very healthy 77 year old male. (Been going to the gym 7 days a week for ten years) Six weeks ago I contracted shingles. The lesions were in the mis-body and it traveled to my penis. Now my penis is numb and I am flaccid, impotent. As a sexually single man I masturbated every day for 65 years. And now---nothing. Considering my excellent health what is the prognosis? What's the chance I will "get my penis back" within, say, a couple of months, six months or even a year?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
After a shingles outbreak, it can take weeks to months for the effected nerves to repair themselves and regenerate when necessary. Given the location of your shingles, however, and the important implications, I would suggest you see a urologist as soon as possible to be sure you get the right treatment right away.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
I would also suggest you have some basic blood tests done, including testosterone levels, to make sure there are no complicating factors in your blood. Also, give viagra a try to make sure that your erectile function is still basically intact.