Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I hurt my knee moving too much one day and after about 1 week

Customer Question

I hurt my knee moving too much one day and after about 1 week I went to the doctor. He had me take x-rays and said I have arthritis. He saw some swelling and told me to use ice and rest it. He said I can come back and have a cortisone shot if I want to. The pain is still there after 2 months. Could there be ligament damage or other problem?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I amCustomer an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast clinical experience and I am very glad to help you with your health question.
The pain is still persisting 2 months after the injury implies there could be some injury to soft tissue structures related to the knee like ligaments, or tendons or menisci etc. These structures take longer time to heal. You had an x ray which would have shown a bone fracture if there was any, considering that your doctor mentioned only about arthritis it implies there was no fracture of any bone in the knee area. However an x ray is not helpful in diagnosing soft tissue injuries which are mentioned above, to diagnose soft tissue injures we need to get an MRI scan of the knee which can easily show whether you have sustained any soft tissue injuries of the ligaments or tendons or menisci etc and then treated appropriately depending upon the MRI results.
Once again to your main question, yes, this could be a ligament damage or some other soft tissue damage like tendon or menisci etc related to the knee joint and an MRI of the knee can help in identifying the exact problem and then treated appropriately depending upon the MRI report. In the meantime for relief from the pain you may try Lidoderm anesthetic skin patches, or Flector skin patches, or Voltaren gel to the knee area to get relief from this persistent pain. If cortisone shot was not yet tried then it is an option too.
Please go through the above information and let me know if you have any further questions. And if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me to compensate me for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.
Best regards,
Customer