Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

What is a soft burning lump of fluid on left side of my left

Customer Question

what is a soft burning lump of fluid on left side of my left knee ?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
How large would you estimate this lump is? How long has it been there? Is it red?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the lump is the size of a quarter, its been there aabout 6 months, and its not red
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
has it been enlarging?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
does it compress easily like a fluid-filled sac?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does compress easily like a fluid-filled sac .and its not getting bigger
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Yes, this could help with the pain. A pain cream such as aspercreme or capsaicin might also help a lot...both are available over-the-counter.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Sorry that answer was intended for another patient.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
A stable, fluid-filled sac might indicate arthritis in the knee joint with an "effusion" or fluid in the joint pushing out against the joint capsule.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Another consideration would be a cyst (e.g. Baker's cyst) which is an out-pouching of the joint lining that fills with fluid. If indicated, your doctor or an orthopedist can aspirate the fluid and send it to the laboratory for investigation of the cause.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what can i do about this
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
If you think this lump is not adjacent to, or connected to, the joint itself, it might be a sebaceous cyst, which can arise anywhere and fill with a compressible liquid cheese-like material. This can also be aspirated or drained by a dermatologist.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
You could start with your primary care doctor or an express care physician. He or she will be able to direct you to the proper treatment after examining the lump.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there anything i can do for the pain
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
The first thing to try would be an anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen or naproxyn sodium, if you tolerate them. Next would be a pain cream such as aspercreme or capsaicin. These agents can be very effective for controlling localized pain without causing systemic side effects.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
If these medications are not effective, you would need to ask your doctor to consider a nerve-stabilizing medication such as gabapentin or pregabalin. These are well-tolerated, effective medications for nerve-related pain especially.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hope my answers have been helpful to you. Let me know if you have any follow up questions.
Regards,
Doctor-Bob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks dr bob that was the information i was looking for linda
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome, Linda. If you have any additional questions, let me know.
If we are finished, please remember to provide a rating so I get credit for my work.
Regards,
Doctor-Bob