Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I am having these episodes every week or so where it feels

Customer Question

I am having these episodes every week or so where it feels like my brain is vibrating in head for about a minute. Afterwards I feel tired and cool or numb. It's an incredibly weird symptom to describe. But vibrating is the closest I can come. I also feel
like I may pass out, which I have never done before. This started about 2 months ago and it just happened and was the worst one yet.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. What seems to trigger these episodes? How often do they occur?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't narrow down something that triggers it. It seems to happen though on days I am more tired than usual.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh and the first time it happened I drank a 5 hour energy and had worked 36 hours straight due to staff call offs
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
In otherwise young persons such as yourself, these episodes are typically stress related, which usually comes along with poor sleep or inadequate sleep. Too much caffeine can also trigger such events, much like panic attacks. This is often the best diagnosis because it can be treated and is temporary. ;-)However, you would want to rule out the less likely possibility of atypical seizures. These can typically be ruled out with an EEG, MRI, and the appropriate blood work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it something to go to the ER for? I've not had anymore caffeine than usual. I'm not stressed currently. And I slept ok last night. But I've suffered from sleep deprivation for years as I have severe PTSD and haven't slept a night through without waking every two hours for the past 12 years
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Yes, this is your biggest risk factor for episodes of neuronal hyperexcitability. The poor sleep compounds this. But do consider seeing a neurologist and having an atypical seizure disorder ruled out.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hope my answers have been helpful to you. Let me know if you have any follow up questions.
Regards,
Doctor-Bob