Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

My 7-month old daughter has been diagnosed with partial onset

Customer Question

My 7-month old daughter has been diagnosed with partial onset seizures with secondary generalization by her pedatric neurologist. She's had 3 EEGs, an MRI, and two rounds of lab work. The only thing that came back abnormal was her 6-hour video EEG. There were spikes on the EEG, which is how the neurologist diagnosed the type of seizures she has. MRI came back normal as did the lab work (blood and urine) the neurologist ran.
My daughter also has motor delays for which she just started occupational therapy. She has low tone in her core, and has a hard time holding and controlling her head and neck. She is unable to sit up unassisted, and when assisted, she cannot sit up and hold her head for very long.
She was also diagnosed with farsightedness for which she will get prescription glasses.
My question is this: what is the likelihood she will outgrow these seizures?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I amCustomer an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast clinical experience and I am very glad to help you with your health question.
Overall her chances of outgrowing her seizures is very good.
Please see that if any serious causes are identified for her low tone in the core & her seizures then the prognosis may not be that good but in her case it sounds like they have not identified any serious cause for her low core tone & her seizures. Her brain MRI is normal, her labs (blood & urine) are normal, and EEG wise it sounds like the initial routine EEGs did not show any spikes and the spikes were seen only in the 6 hour video eeg which means eeg is not showing lots of abnormal activities. If eeg is showing lots or abundant abnormal activities then the initial routine EEGs too would have showed spikes but it sounds like only the 6 hour video eeg showed spikes - so this is also a good sign and implies that overall she has a very good chance of eventually outgrowing her seizures.
Once again I reassure you that overall the chances of she outgrowing her seizures seems very good because as discussed above a) her brain MRI is normal, b) her labs are normal, c) and only 1 out of 3 EEGs showed abnormal findings – all these are favorable signs.
Please go through the above information and let me know if you have any further questions. And if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me to compensate me for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.
Best regards,
Customer
Hi, I see that you have not rated my answer; is it because you are facing some technical glitches preventing you from rating or is it because you are unhappy & dissatisfied with my answer? If you are unhappy & dissatisfied with my answer and if you are having further questions or seeking further clarifications please let me know and we can discuss this further until you are happy & satisfied with all your health concerns.