Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Experienced physician in Neurology
41363181

I have had severe hand spasms of my right hand and fingers

Customer Question

I have had severe hand spasms of my right hand and fingers for over two years now. I also have cervical issues most recently having surgery at C-7-T1 (forinotomy). First a 3 inch incision turned into an 8 inch on my neck and back. I had horrible arm pain
and numbness in my pinky plus the spasms. It has been 9 weeks since surgery and my arm is in constant pain (radiating from my shoulder to my hand). The numbness is worse in my pinky and the spasms are worse. Neurosurgeon seems lost on this. I also have an
osteophyte at C-4-C5 that needs to come out. Please help and direct me on what I need to do. I am living on way too much ibuprohen and hydrocodone at night. My handwriting is also awful. Thank you.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
it sounds like the surgery was not successful
you need to consult with a neurologist and a pain management doctor
a neurologist can do nerve conduction studies on your nerves
the pain management doctor could help decrease your pain with a TENs unit or possibly an implanted spinal stimulator
you might benefit from nerve pain medications like neurontin or lyrica or elavil
let me know if you have questions.