DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years
24257177

I've been diagnosed with Chronic Neuropathy with progressive

Customer Question

I've been diagnosed with Chronic Neuropathy with progressive degenerative disease at L5-S1 with foraminal stenosis on the right and compromise of the right L5 nerve root. My condition has worsened since being diagnosed back in May 2011. My disability rating with Veterans Affairs is currently being appealed to raise my rating from 90 percent to 100 percent. Do you think that there is any liklihood that this condition will improve over time? This is one of the questions that VA claims examiners are asking.
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have major muscle weakness in both legs, no ankle reflex in right ankle, and I have major burning sensations in both legs and feet all of the time. And I have no plantar flexion in right ankle. VA is under the impression that this condition will improve over time. But it has only gotten worse since 2011.
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
Hello
You can not say anyting about that unless you have had therapy under the guidance of a PM&R doctor over all, and unless you have had an EMG/NCS...nerve conduction study.
If there is permanent nerve damage, this study will lend support to that.
With the loss of a reflex is it not likely, but not impossible, to recover.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.