Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Experienced physician in Neurology
41363181

I had a MRI and EEG, due to life-long history of epilepsy at

Customer Question

I had a MRI and EEG, due to life-long history of epilepsy at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. I had the MRI and EEG both on a Thursday and the Dr. called the next Monday with the report. He said the EEG was "perfect" in his words and there were no tumors on the MRI, but the "central aspect" of my pituitary gland was enlarged. The radiology report stated that the findings were "nonspecific" but could contain a microadenoma". The Dr. also termed the findings "incidental." The Dr. at Mayo has recommended no specific follow-up procedures, just "keep an eye on it" for the future and I could mention this to my local neurologist.
What does this mean and is this a "death sentence" i.e. cancer? Or, can I take comfort in the report and that no "specific" follow up has been recommended. It seems that a place as reputable as the Mayo Clinic would not have let me go home, or would have at least notified me right away if this was a serious anomaly.
I am a high-anxiety person (always have been) and am just looking for a clear answer and some comfort (if there is any to give) because I am worrying myself sick over this.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
I am a cancer doctor
this does not mean you have a cancer
this is not a death sentence
pituitary adenomas are benign
you should see an endocrinologist and get blood testing to check on your pituitary hormones such as ACTH, TSH, prolactin, LH, FSH, growth hormone.
don't let your anxiety get out of control.
you will be fine
let me know if you have other questions.