Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I have hydrosphulos (Sorry if misspelled) and i went to the

Customer Question

I have hydrosphulos (Sorry if misspelled) and i went to the hospital yesterday because my shunt cord that goes through my neck is sore rright by my sholduer bone and i was woundering if you would have any idea how i can stop it.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I amCustomer an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast clinical experience and I am very glad to help you with your health question.
First I will try to gather some additional information about your health situation with the following questions;
1) Are you having any fever, headache, vomiting, neck stiffness etc?
2) Have you been following up with a neurologist or neurosurgeon on a regular basis for the management of your hydrocephalus & the shunt? If “yes” when was the last time you saw either of the above specialists?
3) Where you have the sore feeling do you also see any swelling or skin discoloration?
4) Did the Dr in the ER do any investigation, if “yes” what kind of investigation and what was the report?
5) I know the ER Dr did not tell you anything much, but did that Dr give you any clue or hints about the possible diagnosis?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1). Yes vometing and nousous and it hurts when i turn my neck
2.) NO LAST TIME I SEEN MY NURO HE SAID HE WAS ENDING THE SERVIES AND IF ANY SIGNS START HAPPENING GO TO THE E..R
3) the nurse at the ER said it looked a little swolling
4)they did the Xrays but he said they came back alright
5)No he just said take some ibriprophen
Okay I see, I have few additional questions;
1) Are the nausea & vomiting new symptoms started along with the sore feeling in the neck, or did you have these symptoms before too?
2) Does your neurologist or any other neurologist or neurosurgeon give on-call visits to any of the ER near to your place?
3) Could you tell me what kind of x ray you had in the ER?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1)yes it started friday night&No
2)i dont have a neurosurgeon but i called an on call dr but they dnt open till 9:00
3) head and chest xrays
Thanks for all these additional information. I am typing the answer now and I will post it here at the earliest.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright thank you
You are very welcome!
Okay I am ready and I am posting my answer here.
There are few different possibilities to explain your new symptoms of sore feeling & swelling in the neck area where the shunt tube passes. It is possible you are developing some infection of the tube. Another possibility is the tube is developing some kind of obstruction to its flow. Or it may have got ruptured and developing some leak under the skin in the neck. Another possibility includes the soft tissue around the tube is developing some kind of inflammation.
These type of problems need an evaluation by a neurologist or neurosurgeon in the clinic or in the ER. You need a neurologist or neurosurgeon to actually examine you either in their clinic or in the ER. They need to check the neck area where you have soreness and swelling. If you are unable to see them in the clinic then you may visit the ER again and tell the ER doctors that there is suspicion of the tube damage or infection and ask them to call the on-call neurologist or neurosurgeon. If they do not call then insist them to call because these type of problems cannot be diagnosed unless a neurologist or neurosurgeon actually comes and examines your neck area. And also you need special investigations like a Shunt series (and possibly a Shuntogram etc) to make sure this is nothing related to shunt tubing problems in the neck and once the final precise diagnosis is made it will be treated appropriately; so please try to see a neurologist or neurosurgeon asap.
Please go through the above information and let me know if you have any further questions. And if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me to compensate me for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.
Best regards,
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok im here at the ER i have to ask for a nurosurgent?
Neurosurgeon OR a Neurologist, either one of them is fine.