Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

My feet and ankels are swollen and I do not know why.

Customer Question

Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this isCustomer an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast clinical experience. The Expert to whom this question was originally addressed is not available now so the company has made this question available to other Experts too.
Coming to the discussion;
There are myriad causes for swelling of the feet and ankles and I have mentioned these various causes one by one in the below list;
Anemia
Nutritional deficiencies like low protein blood levels
Certain vitamin deficiencies like B12 or folate deficiency
Autoimmune connective tissue disorders
Endocrine disorders like thyroid diseases
Heart diseases
Lung diseases
Kidney or liver diseases
High blood pressure
Certain medication side effects (applicable only if you are on medications)
Arthritis in the feet bones
Obstruction to the venous blood flow in the legs or pelvis (for example blood clots in the veins)
Peripheral neuropathies (peripheral nerve damage) etc
As you see there are myriad causes for swelling of the feet & ankles. I am not telling all these above are applicable in your case, but providing you with a list of various possibilities based on what we see in our clinical practice to explain your new symptoms. And to get to the bottom of this you need a thorough clinical examination & certain relevant investigations so you may see your clinic doctors asap and once the exact cause for this swelling is identified it will be treated appropriately.
And I also reassure you that there are many non-serious causes too for this type of leg swelling so this kind of swelling does not automatically mean this has to be something serious, so please not to panic. Try to see your clinic doctors as soon as possible for the further evaluation and management because an early diagnosis & treatment gives the best chances for a quick and complete cure.
All the very best!
Please go through the above information and let me know if you have any further questions. And if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me to compensate me for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.
Best regards,
Customer