Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Experienced physician in Neurology
41363181

I fell three weeks ago. I'm obese. Left leg was broken in 2008.

Customer Question

I fell three weeks ago. I'm obese. Left leg was broken in 2008. Right knee damaged in car wreck in 2004. Pops at times. A week ago,I tripped and caught myself with my right leg. It did not hurt at the time. A couple of days later it got very painful. Muscle relaxer and ibuprophen ease the pain. I'm a heart patient and see two tomorrow. Not supposed to take ibuprophen. Concerned if it was blood clot(had bad one in February in left leg). It stays elevated but walking can be painful the longer I walk.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
if you are worried about having a blood clot or DVT in your leg, you should go to the ER right away for a leg ultrasound doppler scan to check for DVT.
DVT or deep venous thrombosis tend to cause calf pain and swelling in the leg.
it sounds like you more likely developed a right knee strain from tripping and catching yourself.
a blood clot would cause pain and swelling if you walked or didn't walk.
if the pain is getting worse the longer you walk, sounds more like tendonitis or knee strain or arthritis in your knee causing infammation
but you should still see a doctor about this and get that ultrasound of your leg to rule out DVT just in case
let me know if you have questions.