Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

My daughter, who has idiopathic intracranial hypertension,

Customer Question

My daughter, who has idiopathic intracranial hypertension, had a lumbar puncture yesterday at 11am. She has had some normal side effects to be expected within the first 72 hours such as pain at the site and a headache that is relieved when she lies down.
However, the are some things we a a bit concerned about. She had pain that occurred in one leg during the procedure and it has not subsided. At times it feels like a spasm and at other times it feels as if her leg "has gone to sleep". Prior to the procedure,
she has sometimes had issues with vertigo. Typically she describes it as feeling as if she is not steady or is spinning around; now she has had a couple of episodes where she feels as if the room is spinning while she is standing still. She feel while trying
to wash her hands at the bathroom sink. She also has had a temp of 99.5 pretty consistently. I have looked at the area where the puncture was done and it is not red or swollen. Should we consider having her go to some sort of emergency facility to be checked
or just follow up with her neurologist in the morning. We caught the nurse right before the end of the day today and best she could do was to take a message for morning.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
does she have any other medical problems?
The fever is concerning
she could have gotten an infection from the tap.
Also she could have damaged her nerve with the tap
she needs to see a doctor ASAP