Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I am a 57 year old female and am having a problem with my right

Customer Question

I am a 57 year old female and am having a problem with my right leg. I do have osteoarthritis in both my knees but my right calf is sore and painful. . What is the difference between gout and a blood clot? Can you help me?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Is your calf swollen? Any redness?? A clot in the leg or DVT is a dangerous potential occurrence. These tend to occur more with prolonged inactivity. Sitting for long plane ride or car ride sometimes we see people develop these. A deep vein thrombosis of the leg may cause pain and usually also SWELLING of the affected leg. Bed rest after recovery from prolonged illness is a risk or recovery from certain surgeries may be a risk.
Does it hurt to lift the foot upward at the ankle? That can be a clue as to a clot...
So SWELLING of leg plus pain in calf and some redness would be reason to seek evaluation at the ER.They can tell if you have a clot by an ultrasound plus blood test called a D-dimer.
Gout is an inflammatory condition that may affect joints. Crystals of uric acid may inflame joints. The base of the great toe is common but large joints such as the knees may be affected too. Also common is to have combination of issues that may cause inflammation of joints such as combination of osteoarthritis plus gout.
Gout would not be cause of calf pain...
Muscle strain would be more common cause of calf soreness. If you had prolonged standing or walking yesterday and had soreness of calf muscle then that would be more likely just a muscle strain...
So if you have more reason to suspect a flare of gout see your regular doctor.
If you seem to have a muscle strain then you may not need to see a doctor for that has it is usually is short term if mild...
If you have reason to fear possible clot (DVT) of leg then I would advise that you go to ER TO get checked. A clot in leg may at times break free and flow up to and past heart and to lungs ..sudden shortness of breath or racing of heart should prompt call to 911...( blood clot to lung a can be fatal ...that is an emergency)
I hope that this is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank You and Best Regards,
Anthony Bray MD