Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

My mom keeps complaining of feeling like poison is running through her body. She has s

Customer Question

Hi. My mom keeps complaining of feeling like poison is running through her body. She has slightly high cholesteral, severe joint and muscle aches, insomnia, and a fuzzy head. She keeps complaining that it feels like someone's sitting on her chest. Lately, She has anxiety and depression that hits so hard and she doesn't know reason.. With no energy. She had her thyroid removed about fifteen years ago but all these symptoms began about six months ago and seem to be getting much worse. She used to be energetic and it takes a lot to get my mom down, so we are all really concerned. We just don't know where to begin. Any ideas? Thank you!
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this isCustomer an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast clinical experience. The Expert to whom this question was originally addressed is not available now so the company has made this question available to other Experts too.
I will discuss the possible diagnoses & the treatment options point by point below here;
1) I hope your Mom's recent blood pressure and thyroid status have been already checked, if not checked then these need to be checked because poorly controlled blood pressure and abnormal thyroid functions can explain some of her symptoms. I understand her thyroid was removed long ago but the symptoms started long after the removal of the thyroid however if thyroid was recently not checked with a blood test then it needs to be checked now, however if thyroid was recently checked then there is no need to repeat it again.
2) There is a group of health conditions called as “autoimmune connective tissue disorders” and examples for this group of diseases includes rheumatoid arthritis or lupus etc – if she has not been tested for these disease conditions then she needs appropriate tests to rule out this possibility too.
3) Is she having any risk for lyme disease? Tick bites can cause lyme disease, if she is having this risk then she needs a blood test to explore this possibility too.
4) She also needs a brain scan like MRI scan so that we can rule out any unusual possibilities of the brain causing these multiple symptoms. Another important test that too may be necessary is a spinal tap to collect a sample of CSF (Cerebrospinal fluid) and this fluid is tested in the lab to check for any unusual infections or inflammations of the central nervous system causing her symptoms.
5) If not checked then she also needs blood tests to check for any vitamin deficiencies, for example deficiencies of vit b12, vit b6, folate, or vit d etc can cause these multiple symptoms she is having, so if vitamin deficiency has not been already ruled out then she needs this to be ruled out too with appropriate blood tests.
6) Has been checked for any sleep disorders? There are certain sleep disorders that too can cause her these symptoms, if she has not been tested for sleep disorders then she needs a “Polysomnography” sleep test.
7) Was she tested for liver or kidney diseases? If not then she needs appropriate tests to explore these possibilities too because diseases of the liver or kidney too can her symptoms.
If you guys see any of the above mentioned health conditions or investigations have already been addressed then please there is no need to duplicate them again, but if you see any of the above health conditions not ruled out yet then we need to rule out them with the above mentioned investigations and once the final precise diagnosis is confirmed it will be treated appropriately. And the above mentioned investigations can be arranged through her family Dr & her Neurologist. In the meantime if not already tried then she may try one of these meds like Amitriptyline or Nortriptyline or Duloxetine etc which can significantly help her with obtaining relief from her various above mentioned annoying symptoms and improve her quality of life.
Please go through the above information and let me know if you have any further questions. And if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me to compensate me for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.
Best regards,
Customer