Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I had an X-Ray of my back to see if I had a compressed fracture

Customer Question

I had an X-Ray of my back to see if I had a compressed fracture or a broken bone - I am 75, don't have osteoporosis but have had a cervical fusion and a lumbar disk r repair. Would anything be done if it is a break.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I amCustomer an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast clinical experience and I am very glad to help you with your health question.
Most of the fractures of the spinal bones (vertebrae) is treated conservatively without the need for any surgeries by using a spinal brace which will limitize the movements of the spine. During the recovery period any strenuous activities that may involve lifting heavy weights, bending etc should be avoided as much as possible and this will hasten the healing of the fracture. If the fracture is major or if any bony fragments are extending into the spinal canal then surgical treatments may be necessary too, but most of the spinal fractures do not require any surgeries because conservative treatments with the brace and rest is sufficient to fix the problems. And also I see that you are not having any osteoporosis and this is a good sign because the risk for bone fracture is more if you have osteoporosis and since you do not have osteoporosis it decreases the possibility of fractures in your case. I wish you all the very best with your x ray report and hope it rules out any fracture or any new injuries.
Please go through the above information and let me know if you have any further questions. And if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me to compensate me for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.
Best regards,
Customer