Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

When I worked ICU, I learned that hippocs were something to

Customer Question

When I worked ICU, I learned that hippocs were something to report to the docs...frankly, I was a really good RN, but I never asked why...shame on me. What is the problem with hiccops? Now, I am quitting smoking, and if I chew too much nicotine gum I get hikkops...what is the connection? Anything I have looked up says it is normal...fine, but it wasn't normal in neuro ICU...
Thanks!
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. Yes it is normal. Certain foods can do this by irritating the digestive tract and cause hiccups. Yes I agree that hiccups can be indicative of serious illness but in that case they are persistent and progressive. Even I have the same problem as yours and get such hiccups as well. So just relax and don't stress yourself. In neuro ICU it was not normal because as I said certain diseases like kidney and liver diseases can do this as well but in that case they have to persistent and progressive. I wish you all the best for a happy and healthy life. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards