Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Experienced physician in Neurology
41363181

I was in a car accident 9 1/2 weeks ago. I was driving

Customer Question

Hi -
I was in a car accident 9 1/2 weeks ago. I was driving and was T-boned on the passenger side. My right arm shot out to instinctive protect my daughter sitting in the passenger front seat ( Typical "Mom" move) unfortunately I have damaged my collarbone and shoulder in the process. I have had multiple x-rays and an ultrasound of the area. I have severe pain along my right collar bone, right side of sterno-clavicular joint and right shoulder. I had an ultra sound of the shoulder which showed a partial tear in the supraspinatus and bursitis. I'm doing physio 2x a week and massage therapy 1 x a week with no improvement. I've tried anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxants, heat and ice with no relief of pain...also severe muscle spasms and limited ROM of neck. I'm scheduled for a CT scan soon...I'm from Canada so my MRI is in 16 months :( waiting of orthopedic surgeon appointment in another 4 weeks...dr say because its all soft tissue there is ntohign to be done except "wait it out" and time will heal...is this correct...what questions should I be asking at my dr's appointments....very frustrated with the amount of pain
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
you might need a steroid injection in the area of bursitis to help decrease inflammation to help with healing.
partial tears of supraspinatus can take a long time to heal
you are doing right things with physical therapy and anti-inflammatories
heat now after the acute injury most likely will help more to bring more blood flow to the area to help with healing.
ask about options for steroid injections for the area of bursitis to see if that helps decrease inflammation
let me know if you have questions.