DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years
24257177

I fell and broke my elbow several years ago. The bone in my elbow was

Customer Question

I fell and broke my elbow several years ago. The bone in my elbow was replaced during surgery. Since the surgery, I have had really bad aching and pain in my forearm since the surgery and physical therapy. Sometimes the pain is so bad, I cannot move my arm in certain positions. Why is there so much pain years later after the surgery and my arm has healed?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
Hello
It might not be from the arm.
Pain can radiate from a disc problem in the neck, from a nerve problem in the shoulder, etc.
You need a full structural exam.
Maybe you need an MRI as well.
See an MD specialist in physical medicine and rehabilitation. This doctor is highly trained in this area.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry. I don't understand why the pain and aching is just with the bones in my forearm area (and only on the arm that was broken and repaired via elbow surgery). My orthopedic doctor has taken x-rays on the area he repaired and he cannot find anything wrong with the elbow replacement surgery. The pain is isolated to the two bones in my forearm. Unless I'm missing something, your answer does not seem to address my particular situation. I'm not sure where else to go to get rid of this pain. Thanks.

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
I believe my answer does address this.
This type of pain can originate at the elbow, at the shoulder, and in the neck.
When it is from the shoulder or neck, it is often missed.
An x ray is useless...it misses nerve, ligament and disc.
If you see a PM&R doctor, your exam and work up will be far more extensive.