Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

Occasionally, my left leg can be sensitive to touch and have

Customer Question

Occasionally, my left leg can be sensitive to touch and have sharp pains shooting up it. My right foot and ankle swell and sometimes is sore. Help diagnosis please. What kind of doctor should I visit?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am Neuro Doctor, an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast clinical experience and I am very glad to help you with your health question.
The sensitivity to touch and the shooting pain in the left leg are suspicious for some nerve injury and this type of nerve injury may be occurring in the leg itself or it may be occurring in the spine in the form of pinched spinal nerve. You may please try to see a neurologist in this regard. The neurologist will first conduct a thorough neurological examination followed by a nerve and muscle test called as EMG/Nerve conduction test which will help in telling which nerve get injured and what is the exact location of the nerve injury and what is the severity of the nerve injury etc, and you also may need an MRI of the spine if there is any suspicion for pinched spinal nerve. While swelling is less likely due to any neurological illness however when you see the neurologist they will also evaluate you for any possible neurological explanation for the swelling too. Once the precise final diagnosis is confirmed it will be treated appropriately and in the meantime for the relief from the pain and the sensitivity you may please try to use one of the nerve-pain pills like Gabapentin or Amitriptyline etc which can provide you significant relief from these annoying symptoms.
Please go through the above information and let me know if you have any further questions. And if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me to compensate me for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.
Best regards,
Neuro Doctor