Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I have had two MRIs in the last year due to a falling problem.

Customer Question

I have had two MRIs in the last year due to a falling problem. I fainted on New Year's Eve and then yesterday (the day after my neurologist gave me a clean bill of health) I fell as I got out of bed. I hit the night stand and got a gash that required 40-50 stitches. I was neither dizzy or headachy. My husband called 911 because I was bleeding profusely. They took me to the hospital and I had a normal CAT scan. I then went to a plastic surgeon who performed the stitchery. She indicated that I had ripped the muscle. I came home, iced the wound and took arnica montana and naproxin for pain. Question, it is a comfort to get positive test results; however, it is disconcerting to keep falling. i am 61 and in good health and I exercise regularly. Any ideas of what is causing this problem and what I should do next.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
do you take any medications?
At this point a cardiac issue needs to be considered. Generally sudden passing out is not a neurological problem but a cardiac problem
You need to see a cardiologist and have a full workup
The test of special importance is a holter monitor. This is a wearable EKG that looks for heart rhythm issues