Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery, 5 years experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My spouse, aged 56, has had a headache and right side temporal

Customer Question

My spouse, aged 56, has had a headache and right side temporal area pain for almost two weeks. Primary Care doctor thinks Temporal Ateritis is possibility based on other symptoms. Ordered CRP and Sed Rate blood tests; CRP came back OK. Screw up caused Sed Rate test not be done. Doc talked about doing Biopsy, also talking about Cat scan. WE HAVE PLANS TO FLY TOMORROW FROM CLEVELAND OH TO DENVER CO TO VISIT SON FOR A WEEK, AND PLANNED TO HIKE IN THE MOUNTAINS (12K-14K ELEVATION). Admittedly, we are both looking for new physicians so we have nobody else to ask questions. Is it safe for my spouse to fly and to be at higher elevations without resolving this condition? She has not had any noticeable eye blurriness or pain. She has taken an over counter Sinutab (DrugMart) that normally eliminated sinus headaches without much success conquering this temporal pain/headache. Pain never gets higher than a 5-6 on pain scale of 0-10. Should we cancel trip, lose $800 and start additional testing?
john
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi John,
If this is temporal arteritis then flying in a pressurized cabin of an air plane is not going to cause any problems for her.
I hope that the doctor has ruled out other conditions like carotid artery narrowing and that your spouse has had a complete neurological examination done as well. If yes, it is okay for her to fly. I would however, not recommend going to the mountains at that elevation as that can aggravate her headaches.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Let me know if you have any other queries about this.
Best wishes.