Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I have recently been diagnosed with benign fasciculation syndrome. I a

Customer Question

I have recently been diagnosed with benign fasciculation syndrome. I am unable to take Carbamazepine as I have an allele which would cause a severe reaction. My neurologist gave me Metoprolol 50mg instead. I just want to know what the Beta Blocker is supposed to do by way of controlling the fasciculations?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.
Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.
Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't really have other medical problems, and am only taking finasteride for hairloss
Thank you for that additional information.
While o drugs, supplements, diet, exercise, etc have been found that completely control the symptoms the use of beta blockers have been very helpful for many patients.
Beta blockers work by blocking the effects of epinephrine which is also called adrenaline. By doing this the muscles are less prone to twitch. The complete mechanism is not well known as it applies to BFS....but it is known to work.
Does this make sense to you?
Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick MD FACS