Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Over the past year, I have had some neck pain in relation

Customer Question

Over the past year, I have had some neck pain in relation to stiffness most likely from work stress, and poor sleeping habits.
A little over a week ago, I noticed a quick sharp but subtle pain deep in my head. I have never felt this before. Because of my neck pain, I cracked my neck, and noticed that this did cause another flash of the same pain.
Since then, I have been having a very dull pain spasm deep inside of the center of my head, and sometimes on left side of head between top of ear and temple.
Note- this pain is very dull, and I am able to go about my day without fail. But the sensation is not normal, and becomes a worry.
I am scheduling a Dr. apointment, but I was hoping you might have some insight. Does this sound like nerve in neck, or something in relation to the brain. I am curious if this a symptom of anything like a tumor or aneurism?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Well not the brain itself as the internal tissue of the brain ironically does not have itself sensation..
The spinal cord and spinal nerve's from the uppermost cervical spine(neck) gives you sensation of the scalp from the back of head to top...the neck therefore is most commonly related to tension type headaches..
The neck movement being associated with sharp pains would be probably some degree of nerve ounce of the uppermost neck area...
The pain of the temple area could be in the distribution of the Trigeminal nerve which is a nerve that gives sensation to the face ...this is not from the neck but one of the cranial nerves (source is from brain forward ...)
If temple area pain should be throbbing in nature then inflammation of artery in area is possible source of pain..( your pain does not sound like this by your description so far...)
Also to clarify a point blood vessels within the skull may sense pain but the brain tissue itself does not sense pain...
The outer covering of the brain may sense pain as in those who get meningitis (your pain description does not fit meningitis )
It sounds that your sense of long term stiffness of neck and headaches would most fit with musculoskeletal issue of the neck as cause. I think combination of anti-inflammatory (Aleve 2 tablets twice a day with food) perhaps plus muscle relaxant (doctor might prescribe Skelaxin or Flexeril or Soma or other)>> I think combination such as this would be most likely to help you..
You may also benefit from a cervical support pillow at night to help support neck in good neutral position when you sleep
I hope that this is helpful for you. Let me know if you have further questions. I will be happy to get back with you. If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank You and Best Regards!
Anthony Bray MD