Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I was doing a handstand and have hurt my neck and get a pain

Customer Question

I was doing a handstand and have hurt my neck and get a pain all down my arm... Physio thinks I may have done some minor nerve damage is this likely and if so what is treatment?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
If you strained your neck (the most common injury in cases like this) this would likely improve with rest, ice, motrin and gentle therapy over the next 3-4 weeks. If you injured the root of a nerve coming off the spinal cord and going into your arm, this could be a more serious situation and lead to complications. One way to look for this would be to get an MRI of the cervical spine. A normal MRI would be very reassuring. Another test you could arrange would be a nerve conduction study (NCV/EMG) which looks for evidence of nerve damage in the arm. A neurologist could order these tests and help you sort out the results. Most such conditions can be monitored over time and treated with special therapy. Occasionally, spinal surgery is required to decompress a pinched nerve.