Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I have been taking Fioricet plus years. Only three to

Customer Question

I have been taking Fioricet for 6 plus years. Only three to four a day. It helps my tension headaches and my back pain. Now they are telling me no more. Why?
What can I take besides loads of Advil?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I amCustomer an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast clinical experience and I am very glad to help you with your health question.
Fioricet seems to be helping you and also you used to take it for very long time so I am really not sure why your doctors are not prescribing it for you anymore. It is actually an excellent pill to help tension type headache and it can help with other kinds of pain like back pain too and it is really surprising why your doctors are denying you this medication. What I can do is provide you with a list of several different treatment options that can help you with both tension headache and back pain and if you see any of these options not yet tried then you may please consider trying them.
This is the list of several different options to treat your painful conditions;
Tricyclic agents like Tab Amitriptyline or Nortriptyline
Opioid/narcotic meds like Lortab or Percocet
Benzodiazepines like Tab Alprazolam or Lorazepam
SSRI agents like Cap Fluoxetine or Tab Sertraline
Cap Midrin (ordered through a compounding pharmacy)
Muscle relaxants like Tab Baclofen or Tizanidine
Complementary and Alternative medicine treatments like Acupuncture, Hypnotherapy, or Biofeedback etc
Trigger point management/massage therapy (if any trigger points are present, not otherwise)
TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation)
Botox injections
Occipital nerve blocks
Occipital nerve stimulation
ESI (Epidural Steroid Injections) etc
I am not telling all these above treatments are required in your case but providing you with a list of varieties of treatment options that are available for managing your painful conditions and if you see any of the above treatments you have not already tried then please consider trying it to help in getting sound relief from the severe tension headache and the back pain you are tortured with.
Please go through the above information and let me know if you have any further questions. And if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me to compensate me for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.
Best regards,
Customer