Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I'm having severe memory loss ..like within seconds of doing

Customer Question

I'm having severe memory loss ..like within seconds of doing something I'll forget I did it. I still know for a fact that there are things I did but I can't remember doing them if that makes any sense.some things that I do remember feel like it was years
ago even if it was just an hour ago..I'm very foggy all the time I get lost in familiar places etc. I still remember people though..my mri showed possible cavernous angioma or less likely asymmetrical calcification in the basal ganglia *I think*. What are
the odds that this is some rare neurological disease and if so what testing would I need? I also have very blurry vision ..I'm only 25 years old. These symptoms started 6 weeks post partum. Thank you
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should also add that I have a lot of tingling and numbness in my head and neck ... even down my spine but it's mostly in the back of my head. I also had an mri of my whole spine and it was Normal
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
I would recommend that you see a neurologist. Your symptoms are indeed very unusual and concerning for your age.
Metabolic disease could be at play or possibly a key severe deficiency such as B12 or thiamine perhaps...
I think screening for toxins should be included ( heavy meatals or organophosphates such as in pesticides)
Your work up might need to include a spinal tap with testing of the cerebrospinal fluid ...
Possible that you could suffer from atypical infection ...
I think neurologist would evaluate you with EEG as well..
I hope that this is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.
Thank You and Best Regards,
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did see a neurologist he did and mri of my brain and spine and and mra. I had similar symptoms years ago and they diagnosed me with neuro lymes disease. My symptoms weren't as severe as they are now though. Could lymes disease flare up? When they symptoms first started a few years ago I had a eeg and it was normal
Hello again,
I would not expect Lyme's disease to "flare" as that is an infection.It may be that you could have been treated and recovered and exposed again to that infection via another tick bite.
Other disease is possible. Your past disease may have induced or help induce an autoimmune disease as a secondary problem. Such could also cause inflammation of the brain and neurological symptoms.
It sounds that you need further follow up with your neurologist. If MRI AND MRA of brain normal then that is good start. Many of worse diagnoses should have been picked up by those tests....so no brain cancer for example ....
Metabolic and nutritional factors (B12 deficiency as example) Also your work history and habits should be reviewed to help check for toxin exposure as possible cause...
You probably need spinal tap if not had one recently to evaluate the CSF ( cerebrospinal fluid ) for signs of infection or abnormal inflammation
I hope that this helps.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.
Take Care!
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response again. What are the odds that I could have a neurological disease and if so would it be picked up by mri? Are there any neuro diseases that cause tingling and numbness in the head? I feel like it's just progressively getting worse and the doctors are at a loss as to what can be causing these symptoms
Hello again,
Well the MRI of brain and spine and MRA of brain would rule out many things. These tests being normal would rule out brain tumor or stroke or MS or encephalitis. Nothing affecting the structure of the brain is going on. Nothing of a vascular nature such as vasculitis of the brain is going on.
It is possible that something affecting you smaller than cell level could not show up in these tests. It is possible that a a neuropsychiatric process could be a culprit of symptoms. Metabolic problems could include B12 deficiency, electrolyte abnormalities, thyroid abnormalities, some toxin effects possibly, conversion disorder and psychosomatic disease would be possible.
I would look at problem that there is some reason for you feeling abnormal. The key is finding out why. There are entities that may cause symptoms without disturbing the structure of your brain. This is the area that your neurologist needs to consider.
I hope that this is helpful for you. Let me know if you have further questions. Best Regards,
Anthony Bray MD