Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

My wife takes Viibryd . Works fine. However,

Customer Question

My wife takes Viibryd for depression. Works fine. However, her chronic generalized pain has just been diagnosed as possibly hyper mobility pain syndrome, possibly fibromyalgia or even what was formerly known as Type III E-D Syndrome. Her new rheumatologist said possibly take Cymbalta or Lyrica for the pain, but wants her to consult with the psychiatrist who prescribed Viibryd. We will do that of course, but we are interested in the conventional thought/wisdom or prevailing views on combining these drugs.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Well Cymbalta is an antidepressant as well >> so the Viibryd might be switched to Cymbalta as an option..
The Lyrica is NOT an antidepressant but that could be added...
One of these two options I think would be most reasonable to try and help as a next step..
I can see why the rheumatologist wanted the input from her psychiatrist though...
I hope that this helps to clarify! Let me know if you have further questions. I will be happy to get back with you! If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. thank you and Best Regards,
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I think she was suggesting Lyrica for pain relief from arthritis, fibromyalgia and HBS. (Beth cannot take opoids). Does that make sense?
Hello ,
Yes that makes sense. Lyrica by class is an anti-seizure type medication BUT it is commonly used for pain relief. (IT modifies how the central nervous system processes pain signals) It is NOT an opioid by class however.
I hope that this is helpful!
Let me know if you have further questions!
Best regards!
Anthony Bray MD