Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I don't know. I'm researching the causes of the sensation of

Customer Question

I don't know. I'm researching the causes of the sensation of "pins and needles" on my left shoulder. I think it's a pinched nerve on my neck. I have had problems with my neck for years now and used to go to a chiropractor to get it "cracked" to get relief. I stopped doing that after the relief stopped lasting longer than a week or so.
I've had this condition now for over a year and it has become a daily, repetitive occurrence, apparently depending on the position of my neck. It happens so often now that I've gotten used to it, but I'm concern with the presence of a malign growth between my vertebrae.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Yes, a problem in the spine of the neck is a common cause of a pins and needles sensation in the shoulder. It actually can be due to a pinching of the nerve anywhere along its course, including muscle spasm of the neck or a condition in the upper chest, but the spine is far more common.
It is also much more likely that it would be due to degenerative changes within the neck, rather than a malignant growth in the neck. However, the test that would be able to determine this with certainty would be an imaging test of the neck, usually an MRI.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.