Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I fell 2 days ago all my weight on my arm close to the shoulder

Customer Question

I fell 2 days ago all my weight on my arm close to the shoulder ... I am in pain ever since and I can only move my arm a bit forward there is no apparent bruise but I cannot elevate my arm .. No clinic available here only emergency with very long waiting period .. I do not think I need a X-ray but not sure should I take an antinflamatory and immobilize the arm or should I start exercising it right away but it is very painful if I try not sure what to do
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I amCustomer an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast clinical experience and I am very glad to help you with your health question.
I can see this is a very tough situation for you because there are no clinics available and also the emergency room service has a very long waiting period. Since the pain is very severe you may please try to take some anti-inflammatory pain killers like Ibuprofen or Naproxen etc. Regarding whether to immobilize the arm or whether to exercise it – I do not think it is safe to exercise the arm now because we still do not know how severe the injury is to the shoulder or upper arm area, since you are having difficulty in moving the shoulder and also there is so much pain unfortunately we cannot rule out some kind of internal shoulder or upper humerus bone area injury including possible shoulder dislocation or fracture etc so until these possibilities have been ruled out it is not safe to exercise the arm - so you may please immobilize the arm - and in the meantime please try anti-inflammatory pain killers and also you may please try heat or cold compressors etc. Using muscle relaxants like Tizanidine or Baclofen can also help in relaxing the muscles in the shoulder/arm area and it can help additionally in getting relief from this severe pain.
Please go through the above information and let me know if you have any further questions. And if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me to compensate me for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.
Best regards,
Customer