Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a major problem with sudden anxiety and panic

Customer Question

Hello i have a major problem with sudden anxiety and panic attacks. I heard xanax would help but im not sure how to find it
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Xanax has several pros and cons.
It certainly is very good at relieving anxiety and panic attacks. It is probably one of the best medicines for relief of acute symptoms.
The greatest concern with Xanax is that there is good evidence that chronic, regular use of Xanax will tend to exacerbate the problem. The current recommendation is that Xanax should only be used for up to 30 days because of this concern.
For someone that only has sporadic attacks of anxiety or panic, so that the medicine does not need to be used very often, then a longer course could be considered. So, the pattern and frequency of symptoms would guide the decision of duration of therapy.
As for how to find it, it is a medicine that your physician can prescribe. Many physicians may try other medicines first, to avoid the risk of exacerbating the anxiety, but you can also discuss the use of Xanax.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.