Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

Tramadol pinched nerve C8 neck. I have ADD and have been treated

Customer Question

Tramadol pinched nerve C8 neck. I have ADD and have been treated in the past with stimulants in the past. Tramadol is helping with pain but my memory and ability to concentrate appears to be messed up. Does it make sense that Tramadol can cause this? Also I tried to quit but I started to feel sick and weak legged and had trouble thinking. Pain was also to much. Had to go back on the drug. Is this also expected?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
usually tramadol would not cause memory and concentration problems.
if you have a history of excessive anxiety, this can cause memory and concentration problems.
severe chronic neck pain from a pinched nerve or arthritis can also cause memory and concentration problems and trouble thinking.
in rare cases tramadol can cause serotonin syndrome or sensitivity symptoms
you should ask your doctor to try you on other pain medications like oxycodone or hydrocodone and see if your memory and concentration issues get better.
if you have ADD, you might need treatment for your ADD like with methylphenidate or Adderall for your memory and thinking and concentration to be better.
have you been on ADD treatment before?