Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

My husband is complaining about having difficulty hearing.

Customer Question

My husband is complaining about having difficulty hearing. He has a head cold and a lot of mucous.Could that be causing this?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Yes. A head cold, or upper respiratory virus, could cause mucous to form in the eustachian tubes that normally drain the middle ears. This can cause fluid and/or pressure to build up in the middle ears, reducing hearing or resulting in a muffling of sounds. When did the hearing difficulty start? When did the head cold start? Are both ears affected? This would be an easy diagnosis for your doctor to make with a simple examination and hearing test, if indicated. If there is blockage or dysfunction of the eustachian tubes, there are medications that can help.