Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have noticed a swelling in my legs and ankles. My legs feel

Customer Question

I have noticed a swelling in my legs and ankles. My legs feel hard. What could be causing this I am becoming concerned.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
There are many possible cause of swelling of the legs and ankles. It can occur because of systemic conditions, such as heart failure, liver or kidney dysfunction, and thyroid disease. It also can be due to venous disease affecting the legs, such as chronic venous insufficiency.
If there are no systemic symptoms, it is more likely that it is due to venous disease, but it would ultimately require a proper evaluation to determine the underlying cause.
Regardless of the cause of the swelling, the swelling can cause inflammation of the skin and also increases the risk of developing an infection of the skin.
Also, regardless of the cause of the swelling, increasing the amount of water and salt intake can make it worse. One of the generic treatments for control of swelling would be to restrict salt intake and only having usual amounts of water intake. The amount of salt that comes naturally in food is fine, but you should avoid any salt added during processing, cooking, or at the table.
It would be appropriate to see your doctor for further evaluation to determine the underlying cause, and to restrict salt intake until you can be seen.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.