Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Can you help neuropathy in the feet/

Customer Question

can you help neuropathy in the feet/
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.
Neuropathy can often be difficult to treat.
Since yours is a refractory case, I would suggest a multi - pronged treatment.
The useful treatments for you would be:
Medicines: Drugs like Amitryptiline, Topiramate (Topamax), pregabalin (Lyrica), carbamazepine (Tegretol) are the first line of treatment. You are already using Gabapentin but one of these other drugs can be combined with Gabapentin. You should discuss this with your doctor.
If these medicines do not work, there are a number of other steps that can be taken:
Narcotic Analgesics: narcotic analgesics can be given during painful episodes. You are using Hydrocodone, this should be continued.
Lidocaine patch: these contain a local anesthetic that you can use in the most painful areas.
Tricyclic antidepressants: drugs like Amitryptiline are combined to give effective relief.
TENS: electrodes are placed on the skin over the painful areas and are used to relieve pain.
Peripheral Nerve Stimulation: in this, electrodes are inserted under the skin to relieve the pain.
Vit. B and Vit. E supplements: these also help in neuralgia.
Note down these points or copy/paste into Word and take a printout and discuss with your doctor. This will enable an informed discussion and help you to get detailed explanations. Ask about these treatments and whether they are possible for you. This can lead to a solution for you.
Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.
I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.
Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need.
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!
Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.
Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/expert/qa.aspx?src=nql&T=15263536#ixzz3ZnbOmKAW